Data on Violence Against API Females
- 21 – 55% of Asian feamales in the U.S. report experiencing intimate and/or that is physical violence during their life time, considering a compilation of disagregated types of Asian ethnicities in neighborhood communities. Information & Stats Report (2015)
- 18% of Asian or Pacific Islander females reported rape that is experiencing assault, and/or stalking by an intimate partner in their life time in a nationwide study, as compared to 48% of United states Indians or Alaska indigenous women, 45% of Black females, 34% of Hispanic ladies, and 37percent of White women. CDC: 2010-2012 nationwide Intimate Partner and Sexual Violence Survey (2017)
Graphic from AAPIdata.com. Information from Leung C & Cheung C. 2008. A prevalence research on partner abuse in six American that is asian ethnic in the united states. Global Social Perform. 51(5): 635 – 649.
Domestic Violence-Related Homicide
- In a six-year duration, 160 instances in Asian families led to 226 fatalities, of which 72% had been adult homicide victims, 10% had been child homicide victims, and 18% had been committing committing committing suicide fatalities.
- 68% of victims had been partners that are intimatecurrent, estranged, or ex-partners), of which 111 had been ladies and 14 were males.
- 83% of homicide perpetrators had been guys, 14% were ladies, 3% unknown.
- Young ones were the 2nd group that is largest of victims, and the moms and dads of spouses and girlfriends had been the 3rd biggest team. Shattered Life (2010)
Graphic from AAPIdata.com. Information from Yoshioka MR, DiNoia J, & Ullah K. 2001. Attitudes toward marital physical violence: a study of four Asian communities. Violence Against Women. 7(8): 900 – 926.
Sexual Physical Violence
- Of API ladies, 23% experienced some form of contact violence that is sexual 10% skilled finished or tried rape, and 21% had non-contact unwelcome intimate experiences during their life time. CDC: 2010-2012 NISVS Summary Report (2017)
- 56% of Filipinas and 64% of Indian and Pakistani ladies had skilled intimate violence by a romantic in research of 143 domestic physical violence survivors. Intimate Partner Violence and Help-Seeking (2011)
- 8% of API ladies experienced stalking in their life time CDC: 2010-2012 NISVS Overview Report (2017)
- 68% of Filipinas and 50% of Indian and Pakistani abused ladies reported being stalked by an Partner Violence and Help-Seeking (2011)
Children’s Experience Of Family Violence
- 70% of Cambodians, 61% of Chinese, 80% of Koreans, 79% of Southern Asians, and 72% of Vietnamese women and men reported being hit frequently as kids. ATASK: Asian Family Violence Report (2000)
- 28% of Cambodians, 18% of Chinese, 30% of Koreans, 8% of Southern Asians, and 27% of Vietnamese witnessed their dads frequently hit their moms. ATASK: Asian Family Violence Report (2000)
- In analysis 160 mail order wives Asian homicide instances, 22 kiddies had been killed. For the 63 non-fatal kid victims for who information had been available, 60 had been either on location once the homicides happened, survived an attempted homicide, had been attention or ear witnesses to a maternal homicide, or discovered the bodies. Shattered Life (2010)
- Associated with 3,116 trafficking survivors with specified ethnicities whom reached away to Polaris operated hotlines in 2016, 23% (715) were Asian. Polaris Venture: 2016 Statistics
Attitudes towards Violence
- Of 607 Asian respondents, the top explanations for why household physical violence occurs had been that the husband wishes energy, domination, and control (72 reacted in this way) and that he’s anger that is frustrated/has67 reacted in this manner). Overall, family members physical physical violence is overwhelmingly regarded since the problem that is personal of spouse.
- 22% of Cambodians, 18% of Chinese, 29% of Korean, 5% of South Asian, and 9% of Vietnamese women and men stated that a girl that is being mistreated should maybe perhaps not inform anybody concerning the punishment. ATASK: Asian Family Violence Report (2000)
Graphic from AAPIdata.com. Information from Yoshioka MR, DiNoia J, & Ullah K. 2001. Attitudes toward marital physical violence: a study of four Asian communities. Violence Against Ladies. 7(8): 900 – 926.
Resources on Violence against API Females
Domestic and intimate physical violence in Filipino Communities, 2018
A compilation of statistics on domestic physical violence, intimate physical violence, stalking, and help-seeking in Filipino communities.
Data on Gender-Based Violence in Asian and Pacific Islander Communities, 2017
This factsheet compiles data on domestic physical physical violence, intimate physical physical violence, domestic physical violence associated homicide, stalking, children’s contact with family members physical physical violence, and human being trafficking in Asian and Pacific Islander communities.
Ethnic-Specific Factsheets on Domestic Violence
Ethnic-specific compilations of statistics on domestic physical physical violence, intimate physical physical violence, stalking, and help-seeking in Asian communities into the U.S.
AAPI information, an accumulation of infographics and factsheets on AAPIs